Today is the first day of summer! There are so many unique things about each season and summer is no exception. Today I’m sharing with you 10 things that I love about summer and they are things that I have already been enjoying the last couple of weeks.
- Spending time with friends. What’s better than this? Everyone needs friends and when you have a solid, core group of them, it just makes time together that much more special.
- Slower pace of life. Summer seems to be a time when the hustle of everyday life slows down a little bit and it’s a lot more relaxing. Maybe it has to do mostly with the break in the school year but this time of year just seems a little slower to me.
- Longer days. I really love that it doesn’t really start to get dark until about 8:30-9:00 at night. More time to do more stuff!
- Sno cones. Even though I haven’t had one yet this summer (#1 because of a Chewbacca incident and #2 because of Whole30), there are so many sno cone stands around Tulsa that make pretty great ones. Have you ever had a stuffed sno cone? If you don’t know what that is, it’s a regular sno cone with custard on the bottom. Yum!!
- Lake days. Growing up, my family would spend so much time at the lake during the summer. I haven’t been to the lake in a few years but I’m hoping to at some point this summer. There’s just something about the quietness, stillness, and beauty about the lake that just warms my heart.
- Watermelon. If you don’t like watermelon, I’m so sorry. There’s nothing like some cold, sweet, juicy watermelon on scorching hot days.
- Driving at night with the windows down. The other night I was driving home and it was the perfect weather to roll down the windows and crank up the music a little.
- Traveling. This is a great thing any time during the year but some of my favorite trips have been during the summer.
- Outdoor concerts and movies. One of my favorite places in Tulsa called Utica Square has free, outdoor concerts on Thursday nights during the summer and attending them has been a tradition for several years. People can bring their picnic blankets, chairs, pets, children, food, etc and just enjoy a good night of local music. There’s also another gathering place called Guthrie Green, in Tulsa, that has free, outdoor movies on the lawn on Thursday nights. They’re both so fun and a great place for friends and family to hang out.
- Shorts and sandals. During the summer, I basically live in Nike shorts and sandals. It’s just the best.
Comment below if you have a favorite thing about summer–I would love to know!